MEMORY VERSE: He is not here, but is risen, remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee.” (Luke 24:6)
TEXT: Luke 24:1-45
There are two significant supernatural events that clearly set apart our Lord Jesus Christ as Super-human being—His entrance into the world through the conception of Holy Spirit and His ability to lay down His life in the grave and take it back in resurrection.
In order to discuss resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, we need to convince ourselves about this through the scripture. In last week Search the Scripture, we extensively studied the way and manner Jesus Christ died an agonized death for our sins on the Cross. There was no argument whether he died or not, because there were a lot of envious persecutors that wanted Him dead at all cost. The persecutors made sure He actually died. And after his death a credible personality, Joseph Arimathea buried Him in the tomb (Matthew 27:57-60)
In our study today, we are going to pay attention to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Resurrection is not like the story of popular near-death experience where a figment of an invisible image pop-up from a sick patient, hovers around in the hospital room and being led into a tunnel with a light at the end and came back to the body of the sick patient again.
Resurrection is different from raising up people from dead, like what Elijah did to the dead child of the Widow of Zarepath; like the miracle that Elisha did in raising up the dead child of Shunamite woman. Although Jesus Christ raised so many people from dead during His ministry on earth, including Lazarus the brother of Mary and Martha whose dead body had become decomposed after four days in the grave, all these people that were raise from dead, came back to life in their mortal bodies. Although we do not have reports of they died later in the Bible but it is presumed that all these people died naturally again, after these miracles because they possessed mortal bodies.
- When Jesus resurrected, He came out of the grave Himself in glorious and in immortal body. Only the immortal body can ascend to heaven without the chariot of fire. (1 Corinthians 15:51-53)
- Heaven was interested in the His resurrection therefore angels on assignment came to roll away the hindering stone from the tomb. Matthew 28:2-7
- Jesus Christ arose the third day in fulfillment of the scripture as regards to the sign of Prophet Jonas that was in the belly of the fish for three days (Matthew 12:40), and to accomplish that prediction (Hosea 6:2), After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
- The keepers of the tomb were at their post when the resurrection took place. Certainly they saw something spectacular. Matthew 28:4 “And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.” Whatever the keepers of the tomb had seen that made them pass-out is something to be of a great interest to us. They behold the dazzling glory of God.
ANGEL MINISTRATION DURING JESUS CHRIST’S RESURRECTION
Luke 24:5-7 Matthew 28:7 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. I always wonder what the angel was waiting for after Jesus Christ had resurrected. The major job schedule of the angel I believe was to wait upon the Son of God. He was no longer in the grave, He had risen. Then what were they waiting for. We need to connect some dots in order to understand the revelation of the awesome glory and mercy of God. Angel at the gate of the Garden of Eden was waiting with a flaming sword in his hand to ensure that sinful mankind does not have access to the tree of life. (Genesis 3:24) But at resurrection, the angel of God was waiting to point man to the Savior, the author of eternity. He broke the news of our Lord Jesus Christ resurrection to the consistent seekers of the Lord. “He is not here, He is risen,” he said. The Angel was waiting to point Mary and the rest Apostles to where they can meet Jesus Christ at Galilee. God is mindful of the true believers. You can now see a complete reversal of anger of God against Adam and Eve had been transformed to reveal His infinite mercy and love towards humanity at resurrection.
Matthew v7, The angel revealed a great ministry of evangelism to women, “And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead.” You will notice that this is the central message of the gospel that the disciples were preaching throughout their ministry. Before the Great Commission commandment to all believers, women had been inspired by the angel at resurrection to preach the good news. Isaiah 52:7
THE LESSON FROM THE MINISTRY OF MARY MAGDALENE AT RESURRECTION
Luke 24:1, John 20:11-16 The heart of gratitude is obviously central in the ministry of Mary Magdalene. Remember the ministry of alabaster anointing. Normally the dead body in the tomb is no longer sensitive to the caring activities of the living. Yet Mary came with fragrance in her hands to see the condition of the tomb and to minister to it. When I consider the consistency of Mary in seeking Jesus Christ after His death, I always ask, “Where were the juggernauts—the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ?” With all the privileged spiritual information about Christ’s resurrection they have heard—I will destroy the temple and rebuild it the third day—why were they not at the tomb the third day, at least to see what will happen?
We have another dot to connect in the ministry of Mary. Remember that the glory of God departed from man at the Garden of Eden when Mrs. Adam, a woman, yielded herself to the deceit of Satan and caused humanity to break the law of God. As a result, the relationship between God and man was severed. But at resurrection, Mary, a woman, by gender, the one who was once upon a time possessed of seven demons, who through grace encountered Jesus Christ and experienced deliverance was the first person to see Jesus Christ in His glory. There is a reward for diligent seekers of God. The Lord God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. Hebrew 11:6
If gratitude and tender loving kindness mingle with your love for God and brethren in your diligence seeking of the Lord, you will encounter unparalleled divine revelation of God. Jeremiah 29:13 “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 33:3 “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.” If you choose to be a passionate seeker of God today like Mary Magdalene, you will surely find Him in Jesus name.
THE ACCOUNT OF THE KEEPERS OF THE TOMB—Matthew 28:11-15
The only thing that is sad about the account of resurrection is the suppression of the detailed account of the glorious event. The detailed account of the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ was the reason why the entire world embraced Christmas—a multi-billion dollars event throughout the world today. Every segment of the detail account of His birth ministers differently to various people all over the world during the season.
The Centurions keepers of the tomb did behold the glory of God. They saw something that was unusual. They saw something supernatural. They witnessed the descent of the heavenly host at the tomb on the glorious resurrection morning. They saw the angel rolling away the stone from the tomb. They beheld the King of glory rising from the tomb. The glory was so dazzling that they passed out and they become as dead men. When they came back, instead of returning to their post, they all flee because they could not stand the glory of resurrection of Jesus Christ. They ran away from the Savior to join with the company of the worldly. What a tragedy!
The keepers went to the high priests to report the scenario of the events. The wicked elders called an emergency meeting to deliberate their next line of action. They took counsel with each other to suppress the truth. They bribed the guards to say that the disciples came to steal the body of Jesus while they were sleeping. They sealed the mouth of the keepers of the tomb with mouth watering money to silence them. The evil of bribery had dated back to the time of resurrection.
An important lesson to learn from this is that, if you are not participating in evangelism you are not too much different from the keeper of the tomb. Whatever is silencing you or sealing your mouth from sharing the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ, is indirectly making you to suppress the truth.
BLESSING OF CHRIST’S RESURRECTION TO HUMANITY
- Resurrection of Jesus Christ exhibited the awesome power of God and a resounding proof that Jesus Christ is truly the Son of God.
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ confirmed the defeat of Satan and a victorious fulfillment of the Messianic prophecy in (Genesis 3:15)
- The resurrection of Jesus was the evidence of defeat of death and sin, and it is interpreted as victory for mankind. Jesus went into exile of the grave for us and was raised for us. 2 Corinthians 5:15
- If Christ has not been raised from the dead, then it means we are still in our sins and the hope of salvation has not been established. 1 Corinthians 15:12-19
- All who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ are now united with him. As Christ died and was raised from dead, so too all those “in Christ” have died with him and are rose with him. Those who are “in Christ” have a guarantee of the future resurrection and/or transformation.” Ephesians 1:13-14; Galatians 3:13-14
- Resurrection of Jesus Christ is evidence that our righteous labors in the Lord is not in vain if we can endure it to the end. (I Corinthians 15:51-58)
- Christ’s resurrection is not the same as Christ’s Ascension, it is the resurrected Christ that ascended in His glorious body to heaven. Acts 1:1-11. If we want to experience rapture at the end we must begin to live a resurrected life in the newness of Christ.
Let us pray