And almost all things are by the law purged with blood, and without shedding of blood is no remission” Hebrews 9:22
TEXT: Leviticus 4:1-35; 6:24-30
PURPOSE AND INSTRUMENT OF SIN OFFERING
- Sins had been ignorantly committed against the law of God the penalty of this sin is death according to the law of God—Romans 6:23- For the wages of sin is death…
God is not interested in the death of sinner because of His love for mankind—Ezekiel 18:23–Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Atonement must be made to get rid of this spiritual blemish. Atonement is the Lord’s merciful way of expunging the guilt of sin and redeemed the sinner while the judgment of sin is still implemented according to the law of God without affecting the sinner.
Animal without blemish had to be offered as sacrifice to remove the spiritual blemish of sin—this is indicating that only righteousness and obedience to the word of God can erase every form of wickedness of sin.
PLACE AND PROCEDURES OF SIN OFFERING—Leviticus 4
In the passage we read, we notice that different animals were required for sin offering for different categories of people—vs 3, A sinful anointed priest must bring a young bullock without blemish; vs 14, a sinful congregation must bring a young bullock without blemish; vs 23, a sinful ruler must bring a male kid of goat without blemish; vs 28, a sinful common man must bring a female kid of goad without blemish. Which animal is used, the general criteria, is animal without blemish. This is not to indicate that sins and their penalties are greater than the others. Sin is sin and penalty of every sin is death.
• The atonement animal will be brought to the door of the tabernacle of the Lord—This is not suggesting that you can only repent and atone for your sins in the church. Anywhere you are with the altar of the temple of God in your heart, whether in your private or public devotion, in your closet, in your church or even in the stadium, when your conscience reminds you of your wrong doing, that very moment it is the right place and right time to reconcile with God.
• The sinner will lay his hand upon the sacrificial animal.
• the sacrificial animal must be killed in a designated place in the temple
• Anointed priest (without sin) will bring the blood of the animal to the tabernacle of the congregation
• The priest will dip his fingers into the blood and sprinkle seven times before the Lord
• Pour some of the blood atonement animal upon the Altar of Incense
• Pour the remaining blood at the bottom of the Altar of Burnt Offering
• The body of the atonement animal would be burnt on the Altar of Burnt Offering
PRINCIPLES FOR PARDONING IN THE SIN OFFERING
The hand of sinner is laid upon the sacrificial animal as a way the sinner transfer all his sins upon the animal. This symbolized how Jesus Christ the innocent Lamb of God took our place on the Cross with the burden of our sins on Him and bled and died for us. 2 Corinthians 5:21 “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
Without shedding of the blood of the atonement animal there is no forgiveness of sin. Hebrew 9:22 “And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.”
When I see the blood I will pass over you—Exodus 12:13
The atonement animal must be without blemish—because the blood of crooked animal cannot redeem the crooked waywardness of sinful man—1 Peter 1:18-19 “Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.” In the Christian age we are no longer required to slay animal for the atonement of our sins. However, the brokenness of our spirit for our spiritual errors and transgression must be obvious in our repentance before God. There must be a solemn confession and a sincere repentance prayer and firm determination never to follow the pathway of sinfulness must be glaring. Psalm 51:17 “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”
In this day and age, that abomination that causes desolation is encroaching in our community; we need an upright spirit without blemish to be able to stand in gap before God on behalf of the country. Abraham stood in gap for Sodom and Gomorrah. Daniel and Nehemiah stood in gap for Israel. If we truly want revival to begin with us, manifest and extended to every nooks and corner of New York and the entire nation as a whole in our time, our sin offering must be perfect and acceptable before God. If there is any account we need to settle with God the Creator, with our brethren, with our loved ones to ensure that our name is permanently imprinted in the book of life, this is the right time to make atonement for our sins.
Let us pray