Text: Acts 2:1-40
Baptism of Holy Ghost is a definite Christian experience. This unique experience was not available in the old Testaments for all people. The servants of God that were used of Holy Spirit in the Old Testament only experience the visitation for the purpose of their mission. That was why some of the prophets open their prophetic utterance with a phrases, The Spirit of the Lord was upon me (Ezekiel 11:5) The hand of the Lord was on me (Ezekiel 37:1; The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me (2 Samuel 23:2).
Specifically, there was a prophesy about the manifestation of Holy Ghost Baptism by Prophet Joel. Joel 2:28-29 “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.”
Jesus Christ instructed the disciples to tarry in Jerusalem until they received power (experience) from above. ‘And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.” Luke 24:49 Jesus Christ promised and pray for this unique experience among disciples John 14:16-17 “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.” The word of God from Prophet Isaiah “… for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.” (Isaiah 2:3) God was about to do something unique, some powerful among humanity, something that will greatly impart upon humanity and make difference in their lives, that was why Jesus Christ instructed the disciples to remain Jerusalem until they receive power from on high.
We may ask why this is necessary. The experience is important because Holy Spirit plays a vital role in the spiritual life and services of believers. When a secular dwarf like Apostle Peter who was once upon a time afraid of people, suddenly became a spiritual giant after experiencing the out pouring of Holy Spirit is a pointer to what power of the Spirit can do. Feeble believer becomes dynamic individual and lukewarm Christian become an aggressive evangelist for the glory of God. The quiet brothers and sisters become mighty instruments in the hands of God.
PROFILE AND REVELATION ABOUT HOLY SPIRIT
Holy Spirit is the third person in the Trinity. He has a distinct personality as God. He thinks, teaches, talks, leads, guides and can be grieved. This attributes sound familiar like the attributes of human beings. Oh Yes. Remember that God created man in His image at the beginning. Man was created to be compatible with glorious image of the Living God before the nature of man was corrupted with sin. He is the same Spirit that worked supernaturally in the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, the same Spirit is dwelling with believers that had received baptism of Holy Spirit. Reading from the scripture about the several names of Holy Spirit John 14:17; 15:26; 16:13; 1Corinthians 12:7-10
POWER THROUGH HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM–Acts 2:1-13
When the “day of Pentecost was fully come.” The thought that comes to mind was that, the day was an expected day in the ongoing history of the Jewish nation. Pentecost, historically was known as Shavuot, or the Festival of the Weeks, or the Feast of Harvest. Seven weeks, that is, 49 days is counted between the Passover Feast and Shavuot, that is Pentecost. On the 50th day is the day of Pentecost. The English word “Pentecost” is a transliteration of the Greek word pentekostos, which means “fifty.” Israelites have been celebrating this Festival from time immemorial. Exodus 34:22 “And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.” On the day of this annual event, people came from other nations to participate in the feast of bumper harvest. On this first Pentecost, 17 nations were represented in Jerusalem.
On this day, disciples of Jesus Christ were expectant; they were expecting the promise of Jesus Christ that told them that they should tarry in Jerusalem until they received power from on high. ‘And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.” Luke 24:49
They were in one accord waiting and praying for the expectation of the disciples. By this expectant minds of the people of God and divine arrangement of the 17 nations represented in Jerusalem the stage of the fulfillment of the confirmation of God’s word was set.
vs 2. Suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
vs 4. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Let us pause and think deeply. First the disciples were filled and they began to speak with other tongues.
- Without empty spiritual vacuum in those disciples that were thirsty and waiting to be filled, there could not have been infilling of Holy Spirit.
- Without in-filling of Holy Spirit there could not have been an out pouring of power.
- The new tongue at the experience of Holy Spirit baptism was part of the package of the glorious experience. It was not a language taught by any man. It was a gift of Holy Spirit and also an evidence of the indwelling presence of Holy Spirit in the believers.
- It is possible for human being to fake the new tongue but no one can fake the attributes of the power and fruit of Holy Spirit in the life of an individual that had experience the baptism of Holy Spirit.The glorious experience made difference in the ministry of the disciples. When we read in the Bible, The Acts of Apostles—it simply means “the manifestation of the power of Holy Spirit in the ministries of Apostles.” After this glorious experience among the disciples, Peter who was fearful before became bold and boldly declared the gospel of Jesus Christ on the Day of Pentecost. After the Holy Spirit inspired ministration of Peter, the people broke down, they asked a pertinent question, in verse 37, “Men and Brethren, What shall we do?” Peter responded, in vs 38, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.” Instantaneous revival swept the city of Jerusalem and about 3000 souls embraced salvation on that day.
PRE-REQUISITES FOR HOLY SPIRIT’S BAPTISM
We remind ourselves earlier that God created man in His image at the beginning. Man was created to be compatible with glorious image of the Spirit of the Living God before the spiritual nature of man was corrupted with sin. The Spirit of God does not co-exist with sin, Our sins grieves the Holy Spirit. That was why fallen human beings became spiritual powerless since then.One thing needed to be taken away from the life of a sinner in order to return to that glorious spiritual nature. Ezekiel 36:25-27
- We need to yield to the separation of ourselves from the nature of sin in sincere repentance and choose to take the mantle of genuine salvation.
- We should reach forth for the grace of sanctification–that is separating oneself unto God as a clean vessel for His glorious purposes. The Levite temple priests were consecrated and made holy before they can serve in the temple of God
- We must be thirsty for the glorious experience of Holy Ghost baptism–To be thirsty physically means that you are nearing dehydration and your body needs the water desperately. Psalm 42:1 ” As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.” Spiritually, it means there is a vacuum in your spirit to be desperately filled with the presence of Holy Spirit. It means there is that readiness to receive the precious gift. John 7:37 “In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink”
This will gear us up to seek the face of God in prayer for the Spirit indwelling. Luke 11:9-12 Since we know that God still answer prayer in our time, the Heavenly visitation will come unto you as a special gift as He has promised at the appointed time.