“And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and ‘what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?’ And Jesus answered and said unto them, “Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.” All these are the beginning of sorrows.
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matthew 24:3-8, 11-14)
The events of the end time are broadly described in the Scriptures, and they are unfolding daily in our own time. We are witnessing nations rising up against other nations as a result of war and the act of terrorism. Crimes of kidnapping and incessant killing and rampart shooting of innocent people are going on in our street today unabated. Even in the midst of our so-called ‘plenty’ there is physical famine otherwise known as inflation in our time. Car fuel that was sold for $2.00 per gallon before is now $5.00. When a lot of money could only buy few basic need items, and consumer price index has skyrocketed as a result of inflation. This is the definition of famine in our modern day. Also, spiritual famine is on the rampage. Truth has become a scarce commodity in our society amidst of people that are propounding evil theories. The spirit of unbelief has engulfed the heart of so many as a result of the wicked activities of the false prophets. All kinds of pestilences had engulfed the world today ranging from HIV, ebola, bird-flu, small-pox, monkey pox and Covid-19. In United States alone, over one million people had died as a result of Covid-19 various variants epidemic. The air in the atmosphere is filled with disease causing viral through the after effect of dangerous biological weapon leakages that inadvertently escaped from the laboratory of the manufacturers to the atmosphere. The water became toxic with all kinds of various man-made pollution most especially through nuclear waste leakages. Most of the poultry, food, fruits and veggies that are available in the markets are genetically engineered to maximize profit to the farmers within a short time frame at the detriments of the innocent consumers.
A befitting illustration that readily comes to mind is about the second coming of Christ is duties of inspection of professional auditors. The auditors always visit companies to inspect the accounting books of the company. Among other things, auditor visits the companies to examine whether the corporate entity complied with the financial regulations of the company. Auditor also consider whether the account reflects the expected transparency report of the accepted accounting standards. Auditors inspect the existence of the assets mentioned in the book of the company and ascertained whether those assets are utilized profitably in the activities of the company. The inherent understanding that auditors could visit the company anytime is one of the factors why an accountant of the organization readily balances his books, updates the accounting record and reconcile the record with bank balances. He facilitates all his professional skills to ensure that the assets of the company are put to use and are properly safeguarded.
The auditor issues their report to the shareholders, the owner of the company for judgement. In the visitation of Christ in His Second coming, He is the reigning King, He is the auditor of our characters, and He is the Righteous Judge of our activities, because He is our Creator. He owns us because He paid the price of our redemption with the precious blood He shed for us on the Cross of Calvary.
Many of us do not realize that we are all precious assets and treasures in the hands of God and it is required of us in our Christian responsibilities to apply our treasures in terms of our skills, our wisdom, our abilities and our resources for the glory of God. These are the spiritual auditing of our lives that our Lord Christ shall consider in His judgement in His second coming. He had given us the word, which is the manual of life, as well as the spiritual instructions that we are to follow.
Before discussing how we should prepare for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, let us consider the importance of preparation. The maxim of 6Ps simply states, “Proper Prayerful Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.” If we can stick to this principle and plans in all our preparations, everything good cause we prepare for will surely come to an amazing fruition. This was the concept of the preparation of the ten virgins in the Bible. The wise virgins prepared properly. They did the needful things. They ensured that there was oil in their lamps. They faithfully believed that the Master is surely coming. They diligently prepared. They patiently waited for the Master and finally, they made it to His glorious presence because proper prayerful preparation always prevents poor performance.
- We must be born again. Being born again is like obtaining necessary traveling documents like passport, visa and tickets as an important aspect of our preparation when we are about to travel from one nation to the other. “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” John 3:3-5
- We must maintain a consistent righteous and holy relationship with God and peaceful relationship with man. Our relationship is first of all, with God but also with men that we come across in the journey of our lives. We must be to them the light of the world and salt of the earth in the name of Christ. “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord” Hebrews 12:14
- We must maintain a consistent Christian living as our spiritual responsibilities. The precept of the lamp burning consistently in the first temple of God even when there was no activities of the priest therein is the portrait of consistency of Christian living that God demanded from believers.
- We must engage in the work of evangelist. We must employ the precious spiritual assets of grace, mercy and compassion that we received from Christ in the work of evangelism. “I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine. vs 5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. 2 Timothy 4:1-2, 5
- We must watch and pray. We must prayerfully prepare with the heart of expectation for His Second coming. “But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.” (Mark 13:32-33)
Prayer: Oh Merciful Father, grant me the grace to be sensitive to the impulses of Holy Spirit as I journey on in this Christian race. Endow me with the Spirit of preparation in righteousness and holiness. Empower me to properly wait with the heart of expectation. Lord, enhance my prayerful waiting on my ministries. Extend to me the grace to be diligent and consistent in my Christian living as I journey on in Jesus name, Amen.