PROMISE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. (Joel 2:28)
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: (Acts 2:17)
Looking in-depth into the two passages above we can imagine the size of the immeasurable anointing of the Spirit of God that will be poured upon all flesh (all human race) all over the world. Sons and daughters of mankind shall prophesy. Prophesying in this case is not only about fore-telling—that is—opening into the realm of the spirit and be able to foretell what will happen in future. It includes forth-telling—that is—the divine ability to be able to link the dots of several verses of the scripture together and come up with a powerful revelation of the wisdom of God. A consecrated servant of the Most High God receives the anointing of Holy Spirit that enhances and empowers the application of the knowledge of the word of God in the ministry under his charge. This sets the anointed servants of God apart from ordinary individual for the purpose of edification of the Church. These powerful messages will impact upon the hearts that are leaning on the true revelation of the word of God and they will be convinced and be persuaded through the word. Eventually it bring about a divine transformation in their lives that will make them to totally yield and be identified with the things of the Spirit. These are the unique experience that separated the children of the Kingdom of God from the people of the world.
Talking about the dreams and visions in the two passages, the two remarkable experiences are for the same purposes. We should understand that not all dreams are inspired by God. There is no doubt that we experience all kinds of frivolous dreams when we are asleep. By His grace, when we experience an inspired dream from God in our sleep, we are open to a certain unique events that we clearly see. At times we may see things happening in the dream in a certain way. At times, we may even be part of the important events in our dream. The Lord says, in Numbers 12:6 “When there is a prophet among you, I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions, I speak to them in dreams.” When servants of God have unique dream and vision experience, it is the Lord that is guiding them on what He is about to do.
We remember the experience of Jacob when he was running away from his brother Esau. He had a dream. “And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.” (Genesis 28:12-15) On the other hand, unlike dream, vision do occur not necessarily when we are sleeping. We may be reading the word of God or praying and suddenly one may fall into an inspired trance and behold a divine experience in a vision. Some of the true great ministries that is pointing people to God in our days came through the glorious visions. You can imagine a convincing dream or vision that Noah must have seen before he began to engage in building the Ark of Noah. He was so convinced of the plans of God according to the vision. That explained the reason for his total commitment to the project of Ark of Noah, an instrument of salvation during His time.
PREPARATION FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
Having known that the word of God will surely be fulfilled the seasoned children of the Most High God should do everything to get themselves ready for the fulfillment of the purposes of God concerning our lives. Some of the preparation expected of children of God that are waiting for the anointing of the Holy Spirit are as follow.
- Obedience to the instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ is very important as part of the preparation to receive the baptism of Holy Spirit. “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.” (Luke 24:49) The unique experience was scheduled to take place in a specific place—the city of Jerusalem. Secondly, when the Holy Son of God instructed His holy people to gather together, the expectation was that there was an implied holy relationship of unity among the people. Physically they are united and spiritually they were united. This make them to walk in love with each other. Finally there existed holiness in the midst of the people of God that gather together.
- Spiritual cleansing that usher us into a reconciled relationship with God. This is very important because it is not possible to be spiritually sensitive to the impulses of Holy Spirit if spiritual cleansing had not taken place in the life of a man. “Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.” (Ezekiel 36:25-27)
- Conviction through the word of God that we are sinners. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Roman 10:17
- Making peace with God by repenting of those sins and forsake them. “It may be that the house of Judah will hear all the evil which I purpose to do unto them; that they may return every man from his evil way; that I may forgive their iniquity and their sin.” Jeremiah 36:3
- Embracing the grace of Salvation through faith. “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9
- Reading of the word of God and application of faith upon it. “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” (Joshua 1:8)
- Desire for the gift of Holy Spirit. Reading of the word of God will reveal that there is a gift of Holy Spirit available for the children of God.
- Prayer for the baptism of Holy Spirit. “If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?” (Luke 11:10-13)
PURPOSE FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM
In order to understand the purpose of the Holy Spirit Baptism, we need to know about the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is a spiritual kingdom. Righteousness is the foundation of the kingdom. Orderliness is the watchword of the kingdom. Immaculate holiness is the express order of the kingdom. In the kingdom of God, there is nothing like self-will because only the blessed will of God prevails. Everything yields in obedience to the commandments of Almighty God, the King of the Kingdom. That was why our Lord Jesus Christ taught us that the kingdom of God may come in our Lord’s Prayer, “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:10)
Our Lord Jesus Christ also admonished us in the same chapter saying, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matthew 6:33) The people that sought for the kingdom of God and found it are the people that embraced the grace of salvation by faith. (Ephesians 2:8-9) They are the people that had been identified with God as born-again children of God. “Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3) “Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.” (John 3:5) They are known as sons and daughters of God. “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God …” (John 1:12)
It is only the sons and daughters of the Kingdom of God that can experience the Holy Spirit baptism. “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Act 1:8) The miraculous work of salvation that includes (boldness in witnessing for Christ, authoritative in the wisdom of the word of God, preaching the unadulterated doctrine of Jesus Christ, fervent praying and strategical spiritual application of Holy Spirit’s power as regards healing the sick, casting out the demonic forces, etc) cannot be accomplished through physical ability or intellectual prowess. The elect saints in the kingdom of God who were assembled in the Upper Room on the day of Pentecost experienced this unique gift for the work of the ministry that God had committed into their hands. They were to go to every nooks and crannies of the world with the strength of the anointing of Holy Spirit to witness (testify) to the revelation of the gospel of Jesus Christ. They were to preach the message of repentance to the sinful world. They were to influence the world with the Christ-like characters of the children of the Kingdom of God, and extend invitation of salvation to the perishing world. This can only be accomplished through the Holy Spirit baptism.
Beloved of the Lord, there are works to be done in vineyard of God in our time. The mercy of God had extended the same grace of Holy Spirit baptism to you for the edification of His church. Trust God for His faithfulness. Desire for this precious power of Holy Spirit and pray towards its accomplishment in your life.
Prayer: O Lord, count me worthy to receive the impartation of your power as you prepare me for your ministry on earth, in Jesus name, Amen.