Text: Numbers 27:1-11
PECULIAR REQUEST OF ZELOPHEHAD DAUGHTERS—Numbers 27:1-4
- Profile of Zelophehad Daughters—They are off-springs of Abraham that received the covenant of the Promised Land inheritance. Therefore whether male or female, as part of children of Abraham they had right to the inheritance and were qualified to partake in the inheritance.
- Preparation of Zelophehad Daughters—consecrating self for glorious purpose. Perhaps we wonder why they needed to consecrated themselves before they speak to Moses. Moses was a servant of God that speaks mouth to mouth with God. 12:8 The inappropriate conversation of Aaron and Miriam that attracted judgment upon Miriam must have taught them. The rebellion of Datan and Abiram and the leaders in Israel also a pointer. That was why they needed to prepare themselves in holiness for the appointed time.
- Peaceful and humble approach of Zelophehad Daughters—In a dignified appearance, in humility and with peaceful manner. They did not come to Moses with mind of protest like the worldly people. They did not murmur against the leadership of Moses. They did not engage in in-fighting with the brethren of their father over the inheritance before they came to Moses.
- Purposeful request—All they requested for was a clear assertion of their desire to possess the share of their fathers portion of the inheritance of his brethren in the Promised Land
- Powerful presentation of their request—The fact that their father only had female children was not their fault. The name of their father should not be done away in Israel because they were only female. Their father was not in the camp of dissidents that rebelled against the leadership of Moses.
- Pleasant response—Although this was not stated in the Bible, but it is implied that obviously, was the reason why Moses have rescheduled another appointment with God to look into the request daughters of Zelophehad.
- Patience of Daughters Zelophehad—Joshua 17:3-4 They waited eight years after their petition with Moses before they finally got the inheritance. “In your patience possess ye your souls.” Luke 21:19
PRAYERFUL REACTION OF MOSES AND GOD’S RESPONSE—Numbers 27:5-7
Moses a true servant of God was all out to ensure justice. He did not want the arm of flesh to prevail in the justice of the fatherless. Moses had never come across problematic issues like this in his ministry. He did not allow his mind to guide him in order to administer justice in this matter. He took the matter to the Lord in prayer for His guidance so that he will be able to administer righteous decision in the matter.
God told Moses that the petition of the daughters of Zelophehad was justified and commanded that the inheritance of their father be given unto them. Therefore for the first time, it is established by God as against the popular belief of the Israelites that the Creator recognized female gender as one of the people that deserve to partake in the inheritance of their parents. The fact that they are women was not an indication that they are substandard to their male counterpart. Finally the women among the Israelites have equal right to share in the inheritance of their father.
What does this mean to you? Whether you a man or woman, whether you are from the natural branch or from the Gentile nations, you have right to the inheritance in the Kingdom of God. Through the grace of salvation, you have right to pursue your eternal kingdom inheritance. You will surely possess your possession, in Jesus name.
THE RULES AND REGULATIONS OF INHERITANCE IN ISRAEL—Numbers 27:8-11
In addition to the commanded of the release of inheritance of the daughters of Zenophehad, the Merciful God handed down unto Moses, the rules and regulations of how inheritance in Israel should be distributed.
Although the law was first made unto the Israelites, the people of God. By the virtue of salvation that we received by grace, we are the people of God. As a result the law is equally binding on us. There are many families that have been eating up by greed. When their rich family member died, even before he is buried, the brethren of the diseased would be discussing about his properties. Some will even have the audacity to ask for the motor vehicles keys of the diseased before he is buried. As the children of the Most High God, we must remember the law of inheritance in the Bible. We must do everything to uphold righteous justice. We must be a voice of righteousness to defend the interest of the widow and fatherless according to the word of God
In the secular set up, the same passage we read was modified and incorporated into the secular law captioned “The Law of Succession” all over the world. This is the law that regulates the will, trust and estate of the diseased people in our society.
There are examples of where the law of land was re-written because of the faithfulness of few. Shedrack, Mishach and Abedenego made up their minds not to bow to the idol god of Nebuchadenezzar. God miraculously delivered them from the fiery furnace. Their righteous efforts made the King to re-write the law of Persian and Medes that was not subject to amendment that people of the nation should be worshipping the God of Shedrak Mishach and Abednego. “Therefore I make a decree, That every people, nation, and language, which speak any thing amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made a dunghill: because there is no other God that can deliver after this sort.” (Daniel 3:29)
Queen Esther called for a three days fast before she enter the inner court of the king to see him. “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.” (Esther 4:16) She met with the king as she determined and the favor of God prevailed in her mission. At the long last, the evil degree of Haman the Agagite was re-written to save all the Israelites in Shushan
God can cause the tide of events to change to our favorable desires if we are ready and if we can put in diligent spiritual efforts in terms of our prayers, and persistently pressing towards the desired spiritual goals for His people.
The challenging question that we all need to answer is, “Can our righteous efforts made the law of the land be re-written to favor righteousness and holiness in our time?” “Can we consistently cry unto God until revival break forth in our land?” “Can we demand prayerfully and faithfully before our Heavenly Father that His glory be seen in the Churches of Jesus Christ on earth?” These are some of our inheritance that we can press for prayerfully before the Heavenly King. He will grant us our inheritances in Jesus name, Amen.